The Willmoore H. Kendall Scholarship was created by the Foundation in 2001 in memory of CMAA Past President, Bill Kendall. Valued at more than $10,000 per recipient, this scholarship helps club managers in their pursuit of the Certified Club Manager (CCM) designation. To date, 54 club managers have been awarded a Kendall Scholarship. Twenty-one of those recipients have already received their CCM and the rest are actively working toward that goal!
If you’ve thought about pursuing your CCM, let us help you! A Kendall Scholarship pays the tuition costs associated with all of the Business Management Institute (BMI) courses needed for certification eligibility:
- BMI Club Management
- BMI Leadership Principles
- BMI General Manager/Chief Operating Officer
- BMI Golf Management or BMI Food & Beverage Management
- BMI Certification Review Course (including study guide);
- and CCM Exam Fees
Qualified applicants must be:
- a member of CMAA;
- an assistant manager;
- committed to a career in the club industry;
- actively pursuing the CCM designation;
- have at least one BMI course remaining to complete; and
- nominated for the scholarship by their CMAA chapter.
The application packet is available on our website. Completed applications are due to your chapter for a nomination by November 1. Chapters will then be required to submit the applications with a letter of support to the Foundation by December 1. All applications are reviewed by The Club Foundation Allocation Committee and all applicants are notified of their decision in mid-January. Applications are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Management Experience (Note: internships are not calculated as part of this score);
- CMAA Chapter and Community Activities;
- Quality of your essay;
- General Manager Letter of Recommendation;
- Club Member Letter of Recommendation;
- Overall Quality.
Let us help you achieve your career goals! Apply for a Kendall Scholarship this year!